Sunday, August 30, 2009

Funny People





I haven't exactly figured out how I will go about this blog, so I'll just post on the latest film I caught on the big screen for now.

Funny People, the latest from Judd Apatow really let me down. Before you go thinking I didn't like the film, let me say that it let me down because I loved it yet so many people are saying that it was less than great.

I feel that people expected another hilarious movie with a storyline that equaled the amount of comedy, as was the case with 40 Year Old Virgin and Knocked Up. However, in this movie, the comedy takes a back seat ride. I must say, however, that the comedic elements dove into the front seat and jerked the wheel frequently. There without a doubt were enough dick jokes to make it an Apatow film, but the story was just great. It took the already adapted notion of "what happens when a man finds out that he has a short time to live?" and puts a new spin on it. What happens when a man finds out that he has a short time to live, then gets better?

The cameos alone in this movie were worth paying to see it. They ranged from comedians such as a very aged Norm Macdonald to an insightful Marshall Mathers. My favorite, though, would have to be James Taylor, mostly because I got to hear him say "Fuck Facebook." The wide array of comedians old and new made the film somewhat of a passing-of-the-torch between generations of Funny People.

My only disappointment with the film is that they should have showed more of Aziz, a.k.a. Randy's stand up.

No comments:

Post a Comment